If you haven’t heard of the Lexus LFA, well then you probably aren’t a car enthusiast and so it’s safe to assume that if you’ve read this far, like us, you’re probably very much a car fan. It’s a supercar that hardly needs an introduction, however, the technology that lies beneath could likely fill an encyclopedia.
Only three Lexus LFAs will be coming to South Africa. The first arrived in May this year, while delivery of the second car is imminent. The third car will only be built next year, but Lexus South Africa has taken delivery of a fourth LFA especially for its stand at this year’s JIMS. It is a rare opportunity for South African enthusiasts to see the bespoke supercar up close.
As a refresher, the Lexus LFA is built using advanced carbon fibre technology. At four times the strength of aluminium, Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) gives the Lexus LFA an exceptionally stiff and strong structure, and also delivers major weight advantages, saving around 100 kg on an equivalent aluminium body. CFRP accounts for 65 per cent of the body-in-white, with aluminium alloy used for the remaining 35 per cent. Unlike the few other vehicles on the market that use CFRP construction, the Lexus LFA uses the same advanced resin technology favoured by cutting-edge aerospace programmes for its unmatched weight and strength properties.
The heart of the Lexus LFA is a bespoke, naturally aspirated V10 engine that sets new standards for compact dimensions, lightweight architecture and scintillating performance. The high-revving, 4.8-litre V10, boasts 412 kW and 480 Nm of torque, 90 per cent of which is available from 3 700 r/min all the way to the 9 000 r/min red line. Together with a rear-mounted six-speed sequential automatic transmission, this gives searing in-gear acceleration at all engine speeds and in any gear: 0 – 100 km/h takes just 3.7 seconds and the top speed is 323 km/h.
We could wax lyrical about the car’s braking, aerodynamics and sound, but have a feeling this video will speak louder than words.